Monday 5 January 2009

Final Week in Istanbul

I had a delightful visit with Didar, the library director, at her home Sunday afternoon. The conversation flowed easily about operations in the library, which gave me a little more insight to my observations. She graciously called a taxi for me so I avoided lugging my large suitcase on 2 buses.

I took the boat from Besiktas to Kadikoy. It's a challenge maneuvering up the gangplank with just 2 legs' but with a 50 lb suitcase.....but, as usual men were there to pick up luggage before I even asked.

I stayed in the guest dorms of Marmara University again - very nice, cheap rooms- but not so conveniently located. It was pouring rain, so I just ducked into a fish restaurant across the street and watched BBC in the evening.

Monday I went to Uskudar Amerikan Lisesi to talk with H.S. students considering Emory. They have very heavy security with lots of gates and policeman. During lunch with Tara, the college counselor, she asked if I had a presentation. I was taken aback, I was just planning on answering the students questions! Just 3 students showed and one in particular was interested in business. The meeting was a bit disappointing; I thought they would ask more about Atlanta and campus life but they were more interested in knowing the entrance requirements.

Then it was off to Ozyegin University to visit Muhteşem Hakkı Önder, the librarian who came to my presentation and used to work at Koc. This university opened about 6 months ago. Once again, a wealthy man opened a university in his name. There are not enough universities in the country, so these wealthy philanthropists are serving an important need. Sometimes I think they should consolidate their efforts and provide funds to existing public and private colleges.

They are located in a bright, open office building. I met with Gulcin Cribb, the director, and Ilkay Holt, the manager of Information Access Services. Small world, Gulcin lived in Australia for 30 years and knows Ruth Pagell. The library and IT services are in one unit. The library stresses how they will be on the cutting edge of IT. They are starting with 18 business administration students, the 200 other students are in the English preparatory year. I could feel the excitement as they plan their new facilities, but also wonder what you do all day with so few students!

Monday evening I had dinner at Seval's home. Kim Whalen, who I used to work with at Emory, introduced me to Seval who is a professor of Materials Science at Marmara University.

Tuesday I took the boat back to Besiktas and then a bus to the Sabanci Museum to see the Salvador Dali exhibit. There were hundreds of school children- even 5 yr olds. I learned a lot about the life of Dali, it was an excellent exhibit including some of his films.

I met Gulnez at Taksim Square for lunch. She is the young Kurdish woman who I met a few weeks ago. She had just returned from a week-long seminar to train youth to stand for election in the upcoming municipal elections. They just lowered the age of candidates from 30 to 25. She was offered a job with UNDP. She commented that too many Turks wear horses glasses (a.k.a. blinders!) December 30 was the first broadcast day of Kurdish TV. She had not seen it yet, it wasn't clear to me where they were broadcasting from. She talked about how important it is for the current generation to know their Kurdish language. She repeatedly said how the different groups in Turkey get along and it's just the government that creates wedges between them. I could sit at her feet and learn so much about this dynamic society- subjects that are rarely discussed in most circles.

Despite no minutes on her cell and a broken computer, she was determined to buy me Turkish momento, even after she already gave me earrings. I think I really insulted her when I told her I had no room for an additional mug.

Parting from Gulnez was sad, but I am convinced I will see her again in some leadership capacity in Turkey or another country.

No comments: